Formula: C3H5N3O9
Melting Point: 13 Degrees (Celsius)
Boiling Point: 218 Degrees (Celsius)
Molecular Weight: 227.11g

Also known as: Glyceryl Trinitrate, Glycerin Nitrate

Nictoglycerin is an oily, colorless liquid with a sweet, burning taste. Don't try this at home. Tasting it can produce a really REALLY bad headache, or even acute poisoing. Nitroglycerin is derived from glycerol, a common biological molecule.

Nitroglycerin tablets are a vasodilator-type treatment, usually prescribed to ease pain in the chest area. Patients are usually instructed to take a single tablet and wait four to five minutes. If the chest pain still lingers, patients are instructed to take another tablet. If the pain is still present after another four to five minutes, the patient is instructed to take a third tablet. If, after the third tablet, the chest pain doesn't subside, they should call emergency services. Right away.

Nitroglycerin is also used to construct explosives. Being tremendously unstable (even the slightest friction, or impact can detonate it), it has been found to make a suitable ingredient in many types of explosives. Nitroglycerin is remarkably unstable due to its high rate of decomposition. When nitroglycerin detonates, a high-speed shock is sent through the substance. All of the molecules are destroyed near simultaneously. Nitro has an adavntage over other explosives, as no solid forms of carbon are produced when it is detonated. (Solid carbon normally manifests itself as smoke.) Therefore, it is usually used to create "smokeless" powders.

The obvious problem of Nitro's instability was solved in 1864 by Alfred Nobel. (Yes, THAT Nobel.) Mixing nitroglycerin with a type of clay called kieselguhr, creates a pasty compound, which could then be shaped into rods. In 1867 this material was patented under the name "dynamite".


This node is not meant to replace the advice of your doctor and/or pyrotechnics specialist. Seek their advice before trying anything with nitroglycerin.