In first person shooter computer games, bunnyhopping is a technique directly derived from strafe jumping, which allowed for movement that is much faster than normally possible. The impact of the ability to attain increased speed within the game is naturally very significant .

In essence, bunnyhopping involves performing a series of continuous strafe jumping (I recommend you read the strafe jumping node). It gains its distinction from strafe jumping because it is mostly used to travel long distances faster than normal, not to jump across large bridges. However, as the maximum bunnyhopping speed is usually faster than the maximum strafe jumping speed (bunnyhopping is made up of a sequence of strafe jumps, after all), it is still used to make larger jumps that are even inaccessible by a single strafe jump in what is a jumping form of a run-up.

It exists in most forms of first person shooter games, Quake included, but to a much lesser extent. In QuakeWorld, it was a massively exploited feature as players could not only accelerate very rapidly to extremely high velocities, but also control the direction (due to the air control in Quake). In Quake 2 it was still possible to reach high speeds, but not so rapidly, and in Quake 3, the maximum speed was greatly diminished.