I've been meaning to write about this for a while. I don't know if there is a node about it already or not, but I am still pretty bad at finding what I am looking for on e2. So, I am going to put it in a daylog. Forgive me.

My father is a public safety officer.

No, that doesn't mean he's a rent a cop. He is a real cop, carries a real gun. Yes, he arrests people. He is a real fireman, too. He puts out fires. You see, in our town, you have to be both. You also have to know everything the paramedics know.
On top of this, he is on the Hazmat Team for our city. He deals with chemical spills and suchlike. He is also a teacher in terrorist prevention, "Terrorist Prevention Instructor for Law Enforcement."

All my life, I've heard things such as below:
are cops completely fucking useless?
i just got fucked over by the cops
cops are stupid
fuck tha police
why some cops are completely fucking useless.
Not to mention, I was teased and taunted by the kids in my high school. They called me Bacon Bits because it was so funny to them that my father was a cop. They couldn't fathom that he was also a firefighter, though I tried to explain it to them on numerous ocassions. I felt ashamed. Ashamed that my father was a cop. To everyone around me, that is all he was. And I was the daughter of a cop. No one wanted to be my friend because they thought I would snitch on them.

September 11, 2001. We have lost 300+ firefighters. We have lost 80+ cops. And numerous other lifesavers.

I hope, I honestly hope that after this you will all realize why there are cops. Why there are firefighters.

They are here to save your asses

Though we don't live in NY, something like that could happen here. That could be my father. He could die. He puts his life on the line to save people... the same people that call him pig, bacon, useless. I am proud of you, father.