The ISO two-letter codes for Germany (DE) and for the German language (de), and hence the German top level domain (.de).

Latin preposition meaning "from", "out of", (taking the ablative case to indicate movement) or "about" (taking the genitive case, as in the titles of many philophical works (De rerum natura, and so on). This developed into the preposition de or di, with largely the same meanings plus the "of" of possession in the later romance languages (replacing the use of the genitive case in Latin).


The definite article in Dutch for all plurals and singular forms in the "common" gender (the fused masculine and feminine forms; "het" is used for neuter singulars). Thus a common particle in surnames in Belgium (where it mingles with the French "from" de as well) and the Netherlands. When the first item in a surname and preceded by the forename, sometimes written with a lowercase letter (i.e. you write "Dhr. De Smet" but "Jan de Smet" - this is supposedly an indicator of noble ancestry and it may be a social faux pas to capitalize unnecessarily; the other way round is unlikely to cause problems). In Belgium, years of dominance by francophones and sundry spelling reforms mean that such names have often been concatenated in any case ("Jan Desmet").

Dutch no longer has case inflections for the definite article (as German does) in normal use, but the old inflected versions 's (= des, genitive) den or ten, (masculine dative) and der or ter (feminine dative or genitive) survive in fossilized collocations and place and personal names: , 's Hertogenbosch, Vandenbroucke (= van den broek), ten behoeve van ("as regards ...").


US Navy pennant number prefix for an escort destroyer.
A word which ought to be a stopword in the E2 search engine, but isn't as yet.