A correction to xdc's writeup. The game engine was not based on ID's Wolfenstein 3D engine, but rather the engine used in the shareware game Ken's Labyrinth. It was created by a guy called Ken Silverman. It was the engine that would soon go on to become the famous Build engine and power games such as Duke Nukem 3D and Shadow Warrior.

However, in all fairness, Ken himself wrote in the Ken's Labyrinth readme file that the engine was directly inspired by Wolfenstein.

Update: There now seems to be a bit of a scuffle between myself and my fellow noder, EvilDonut, who consistently claims that the engine was, in fact, based off id's engine, and not Silvermans. His evidence lies in this article (http://www.classicgaming.com/rott/hell), where Mark Dochtermann - Apogee programmer - claims he reprogrammed the Wolf engine for ROTT. However, I recall reading a short article by Silverman on a now-defunct website where he claimed his first work was done for ROTT. I suppose people will believe EvilDonut now, since his claims can be substantiated. I am leaving my (incorrect?) writeup intact, however, and let the courts decide.

December 20th, 2002. andman says The source code for Rise of the Triad was released under the GPL today, thought you might want to add that to your w/u. Read more at http://linuxgames.com/news/feedback.php? identiferID=6094&action=flatview