A traditional Jewish egg-based bread which is usually decoratively braided. The most commonly found variation of challah is a slightly sweet egg-glazed braid of three strands of dough finished with a dusting of sesame or poppy seeds. It makes a wonderful French toast, peanut butter and jelly sandwich, or it is even good plain; however it is best enjoyed just two-hours from the oven.

Challah is a simple and easy yeast-leavend bread to prepare. The dough is very rich, as it contains many egg-yokes and a lot of butter: but it is because of this richness that the dough is a such a joy to knead under one's hands.

Challah is traditionally served on the Friday night sabbath, where it remains covered by a cloth until the prayer or brocha (pronounced: brugch-ha) is said over the bread. In some families, the bread is uncovered and the head of the family tears small pieces from it which are tossed onto the other family member's plates.

Challah and challah traditions are something which varies very much from family to family. Some family's challah contain fruit, nuts, saffron, olives, herbs, and even cheese. Some of the best challah to be had is a desert variation which can be commonly found at most delis: chocolate challah!