I'm in the bathroom getting dressed. It's a dorm on the 12th floor of the building and the hallways are labyrinthine and interconnected. Someone started working the doorknob, trying to get in. I stayed silent, knowing what was on the other side of the door was evil. I got my clothes on and bolted out the other door, knowing that whatever it was trying to get in would be through that door soon.

I ran through halls, knowing my way and heading for the stairs. I had to get away. I had to get out of the building. The other boys stared as I ran past but nobody said anything. I passed the auditorium as I ran and finally got to the stairs. I headed down.

The stairs wound around and around and around as I descended floor by floor until finally, when it seemed like I'd never get away from them, they ended and I pelted out the stairwell doors and into the lobby.

I ran full force into the glass doors of the lobby, and they were locked. I knew they would be and after banging on them for a few minutes, the guard opened them, releasing me from the building. I looked back, but the thing that was after me hadn't come down and into the lobby yet.

I ran down the street and across, coming to a large gathering. The rich and influential were lined up in their fancy cars, getting ready to flee. There were volunteers all over, helping put up banners and bunting on the cars, proudly declaring their affiliation with the Nazi Party. I milled around for a moment and then started helping to put up the decorations.

I knew that they were wrong, that what they stood for was wrong, but I had to escape. I had to somehow get a ride away from this place, and so I kept helping, just like the other boys, trying to please one of the people in the cars enough that they would take me with them.