Fire hose is generally constructed of a cloth exterior and a synthetic rubber or thermoplastic interior. In comes in various sizes from 3/4" to 5" LDH.

Every year, we have to test the hose. Each hose has different testing requirements based on its size, but the test consists of us capping the hose, and presurizing it to a given PSI. For example, 1 3/4" hose (Our standard firefighting size) has to be presurized to 400 PSI for 3 minutes. If it fails, it is removed immediately from service.

The other time we have to test hose is when the bright person in their econobox has decided to learn how to piss off the guys in the fire truck and runs over the hose. Maybe it was in their way. Maybe they didn't see it because of the unbelievable conversation they were having on their cell phone. For whatever reason, they run over it.

So what? It should be able to take it, right? Yes, it should, and generally it does. But, because it has the minor effect of our lives depending on that hose not to fail, we have a procedure. When someone runs over hose, we have to shut down operations, pull any crews out that rely on that hose, disconnect the section, reconnect a new section, and then continue operations. When the scene is over, we then have to take it back and pressure test it to make sure it is fine.

If the hose happens to be our main supply line, that means that the house keeps burning, or that the people trapped inside could die because of your ignorance.



(Author's Note: Generally we would not stop operations if someone was trapped inside. But if the hose failed from the idiot, the people, and the firefighters, would probably be killed.)