The Joint Strike Fighter contract is the largest defense contract in history: at least $200 billion will be spent to purchase three thousand planes from the winner in the coming decade, not to mention money from foreign interests like the RAF. The new fighter is expected to cost in the range of $34 million to $46 million.

As of this writing, Pentagon is scheduled to make the final cut this Friday, Oct 26, 2001. The Pentagon has said this is a winner take all contract, so while the winner will be assured financial prosperity for several decades, there's a possibility that the loser may be forced out of the fighter market completely. However, according to NPR, the government says that both Boeing and Lockheed-Martin have existing contracts that'll keep them producing military planes to the end of the decade. There is also speculation that the loser may still be asked to help with production of the new fighter by either the government or the winner itself.

Also according to NPR, the buzz in Washington is that Lockheed-Martin's X-35 looks like the Pentagon's favorite at this time, not in small part due to its track record with the F-22, whereas Boeing had to start from scratch. Many military analysts say that Lockheed's design is less innovative and therefore less risky, which have historically been traits that the Air Force leans toward. The Air Force will be receiving the largest number of the new plane, so they naturally have the loudest voice in deciding upon the final design. However, Boeing spokespeople were confident that they have a very good chance because of the financial efficiency they've acheived, claiming a 50% reduction in assembly cost and a 35% reduction in labor cost over normal prototype standards for the first X-32 protoype, and another 35% reduction in labor costs for the second prototype built. In fact, Boeing is so confident they'll win that they've already readied the coffee pots and computers for the new hires they'll be taking on when they do. Of course, the real winners will be the different branches of the military, who will be presented with thousands of the most versatile, stealthy, reliable aircraft ever produced.


I would actually agree with The Custodian about the Lockheed's innovation in the propultion area. Although both fighters have engines that derive from the F119/F-22 engine core, they utilize different nozzle designs. The X-35's design combines a center-mounted lift fan which complements a rear-facing engine nozzle that can actually swivel to point downwards, and even a few degrees forward!