A Neofuturist play put on in January 2000, written by Neofuturist cast member Sean Benjamin. Devolution featured forty short plays about a man, E, an inmate in an asylum or a patient in a mental hospital, who thinks he's turning into an animal. In the beginning, the doctor and the nurse walk across the stage, collide, and the nurse drops and scatters forty cards with the names of the forty scenes; the order in which they were picked up was the order in which the scenes were performed. It was similar in format to the famous Neofuturist play Too Much Light Makes the Baby Go Blind, which features thirty short plays in sixty minutes and has been running since 1988. According to the Neofuturist website (http://www.neofuturists.org), Devolution was presented again for two weeks at the Department of Cultural Affairs Storefront Theater in April 2000.

I saw it in its Chicago run at the Neo-futurarium, and mostly enjoyed it. It wasn't as good as Too Much Light, but I didn't expect it to be. I was a disappointed that it all stayed on the same level and never really went anywhere, but thinking back on it now, you really can't do anything differently when you don't know what order you're going to present the scenes in. Sean Benjamin did a good job as E, although E also stayed on one level the entire time--I didn't really see much Devolution.