Even though Oedipus is commonly regarded as an old Greek play, some scientists say that the plays might just be the Greek interpretation of an even older Egyptian story, the Story of King Akhnaton and his political maneuvers (1350 B.C.).

Similarities between the stories of Akhnaton and Oedipus:

  • Both disappeared. (Akhnaton's mummy was never found.)
  • Akhnaton was held responsible for several plagues in Egypt.
  • Akhnaton had two sons; Semenkhare and Tutankhamon, what is known of their story corresponds which that detailed in the Antigone play.
  • The third play "Oedipus at Colonus" (Colonus is the name for Kolona, an ancient name for Troy, and Colonus in Greece), details his exile to the border of Thebes (before the foundation of Athens, the Egyptian territory extended North up to the border of Hittite country, i.e. Kolona's land).
  • Oedipus was the King of Thebes (there have been two cities called Thebes, one was in Greece, and the other was the capital of Egypt.)
  • Both Akhnaton and Oedipus were adopted by a Royal family.

Further theories speculate whether Akhnaton could be the biblical figure Moses. Moses too was adopted. And both Akhnaton and Oedipus fled (or were exiled), as was Moses. And as far as the story of Akhnaton goes he was exiled from Egypt with a group of people, which have been called "non Egyptians".

But all of this is ancient history, and as all know ancient history isn't easy to verify.