'Strawberry Fields Forever' was released as a double A-side single with 'Penny Lane', thus forming possibly the greatest 7" chunk of vinyl ever. Released in the UK on February the 17th, 1967, the Beatles might reasonably have expected the single to become their fourteenth consecutive chart-topper, notwithstanding the uncommercial nature of 'Strawberry Fields'.

It was famously kept from the top spot, however, by Englebert Humperdinck's 'Release Me', to the consternation of Beatles fans everwhere. Because of this 'Strawberry Fields Forever' does not appear on the recent 'One' compilation (although, oddly, 'Penny Lane' does).

In those days the Beatles did not include single releases on their albums (they felt that it would have been poor value for the fans if they had to buy songs twice), which is why the song does not appear on 'Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band'. It was however released on the American version of 'Magical Mystery Tour', which quickly became a sought-after import, until in the CD era the old British 'Mystery Tour' EP was retired in favour of the expanded American album. In the UK the song is also available on '1967-1970' ('The Blue Album'). George Martin considers the omission of the song from Pepper to be "One of the biggest errors I ever made".