To continue- According to the likes of Robert Frost, Pablo Neruda, and William Shakespeare, the basis of a poem is a metaphor. A metaphor is a delicious way of saying one thing and meaning a completly different thing. It allows us to be more vague. This gives many people trouble, because as humans we strive for certainty and clarity of understanding, ie: truth, in everything. Poems clash directly with logic. Most metaphors, logically, do not make sense. They are not true, in the literal sense of the word. They appeal to our abstract side. There is a good deal of debate floating about (Carl Sagan and Jacob Brownkowski epitimize the opposing viewpoints) as to what makes us human; what seperates man from beast. Are humans the only beings capable of abstract thought? What is abstract thought? At any rate, the beauty of poetry, and the gift which at the very least we humans posses in understanding it, is found in all the options presented by poetry and specifically the metaphor.

So often we feel things, or even understand things, that do not fit well into prose. There are not enough specific words to perfectly express what is inside ourselves. Plus, words are not as concrete things as we give them credit for. Such things as connotation, context, tone, syntax, and even definitions which shift over time must be taken into account.

Therein lies the rub. Or the solution. The way you like to interact with your world, will determine the way you can interact with poetry. But humankind in and of itself is lucky enough to have the choice to be vague, or not. Poetry is as personal as it is broad. Perception is a key aspect. Each of us are different, obviously. A poem can have a very wide appeal because it can make many people feel many different things. The more interpertations something has, the more ways there are to relate to it. And the poet never has to tell us what they meant in the first place. That is the essence of poetry.