Rudolf Hess has long been fodder for conspiracy theorists.

In May 1991 the English tabloid newspaper, Sunday Sport, reported that the man who died as a prisoner in Spandau, supposedly Rudolf Hess, had in fact been an impostor paid to switch places with Hess. The switch was accomplished shortly before the end of the trial at Nuremberg, and Hess was still alive and living in Scotland. As evidence, the newspaper gave an account of an interview with a man who had met Hess at an international soccer match in San Marino. The newspaper also published a photograph of the crowd at the match, with part of it highlighted and magnified to show the presence of a man who looked very similar to how an aged Hess might appear.

The article in the sport began ;

RUDOLF HESS SPOTTED AT SOCCER MATCH
He's as sieg as a parrot

NASTY Nazi Rudolph Hess has been sensationally spotted at an international football match - supporting SCOTLAND!

The evil War Crimes monster, who supposedly died in East Germany's notorious Spandau Prison, is alive and well living in a squalid tenement in Glasgow.

Sunday Sport can exclusively reveal that the ancient tyrant is believed to have swopped places with a look alike whom he duped into taking his place in jail.

Since parachuting into Scotland exactly 50 years ago in 1941, he has been living it up - feasting on venison and beef steaks at guest houses across the west coast.

The article went on to recount the meeting between a Highland pub owner and Hess at the soccer match and how they met again in Glasgow afterwards. The behaviour of Hess at his own local pub was described, as were his living conditions in Glasgow. A short biography of Hess was given, ending with his escape from Nuremberg and the information that he loved Scotland. His love of all things Scottish was presumably to explain why he chose to live in Glasgow.

The Sunday Sport is famous in England for concentrating almost exclusively on sex stories at the expense of real news. A typical headline nowadays would be ; BRITNEY SPEARS IN LIVE NUDE LESBIAN ORGY Anger at fake pictures however during the late 80s and early 90s it did give a large number of column inches over to fortean topics and conspiracy theories. This Hess story was typical of the time. Others included the story of how Hitler had really been a woman,and the discovery, on the moon, of a missing world war two bomber. All these were equally unbelievable.