Area Control
(From the NSA Handbook)

Within NSA installations there are generally two types of areas, Administrative and Secure. An Administrative Area is one in which storage of classified information is not authorized, and in which discussions of a classified nature are forbidden. This type of area would include the corridors, restrooms, cafeterias, visitor control areas, credit union, barber shop, and drugstore. Since uncleared, non-NSA personnel are often present in these areas, all Agency personnel must ensure that no classified information is discussed in an Administrative Area.

Classified information being transported within Agency facilities must be placed within envelopes, folders, briefcases, etc. to ensure that its contents or classification markings are not disclosed to unauthorized persons, or that materials are not inadvertently dropped enroute.

The normal operational work spaces within an NSA facility are designated Secure Areas. These areas are approved for classified discussions and for the storage of classified material. Escorts must be provided if it is necessary for uncleared personnel (repairmen, etc.) to enter Secure Areas, an all personnel within the areas must be made aware of the presence of uncleared individuals. All unknown, unescorted visitors to Secure Areas should be immediately challenged by the personnel within the area, regardless of the visitors' clearance level (as indicated by their badge color).

The corridor doors of these areas must be locked with a deadbolt and all classified information in the area must be properly secured after normal working hours or whenever the area is unoccupied. When storing classified material, the most sensitive material must be stored in the most secure containers. Deadbolt keys for doors to these areas must be returned to the key desk at the end of the workday.

For further information regarding Secure Areas, consult the Physical Security Division (M51) or your staff Security Officer.