An immune response is the body's response to a foreign organism (pathogen) entering it. Most pathogens are prevented from entering the body by the skin, or defences such as the mucus that lines the airways. Once a pathogen has entered the body the main forms of defence are the white blood cells (consisting of phagocytes and lymphocytes). The pathogen can be detected in several ways: it can be absorbed by a macrophage, which will then display the surface proteins of the absobed organism on its cell membrane, allowing other white blood cells to recognise it and start an immune response. Cells attacked by the pathogen can release histamine, which attracts neutrophils (a kind of phagocyte) to the area, starting the immune response. B or T lymphocytes can bind on to a foreign suface protein (antigen) and start an immune response).

Each type of white blood cell performs a specific function: Macrophages are found in the major organs and play an important role in initiating the immune response, as mentioned above. Macrophages absorb pathogens by phagocytosis, literally engulfing the organism and digesting them. Neutrophils patrol the bloodstream, and are produced in large amounts during an infection, they are attracted to cells releasing histamine and are one of the main parts of the immune response. They perform phagocytosis on pathogens. B-lymphocytes produce antibodies which perform a number of important functions such as "marking" pathogens, neutralising toxins or destroying some pathogens, they also produce memory cells, which stay in the bloodstream and are the basis of immunity. T-lymphocytes are divided into t-helper cells which secrete cytokines which speed up the activities of the immune system, such as the secretion of antibodies, and killer t-cells which secrete toxic substances such as hydrogen peroxide into affected cells killing the cell and the pathogens inside.