Lead Glass
Also known simply as Crystal, is glass containing at least 24% lead oxide. While being the most expensive of glass types, it is also considered the prettiest and most durable. Full lead crystal is soft and malleable which makes it ideal for heavy cuttings and engravings. Few things at all relating to food, if any, is made with full lead glass.
A reasonable alternative to full lead glass is part lead glass, commonly known as Cristellin. Regrettably, it’s not quite as brilliant or durable as full lead crystal. It has very little lead content (between 6% and 10%), it is accordingly less expensive with many of the same characteristics.

Kali Glass
Kali glass, which is also known as potash glass, is used for making stemware and barware. Due to the health risks associated with lead, many glass factories go out of their way to achieve the characteristics of lead glassware without adding lead. I remember my grandparents talking about glassware and being terrified that they might get lead poisoning from it. Thanks to Kali glass we can feel safe buying hot-looking glassware, with shapes and designs as leaded glass.

Recycled Glass
So THIS is where all those bottles go. Not surprisingly, recycled glass is traditionally blue and green. Broken glass for remelting, also known as cullet, makes up the largest percentage of the glass mix, which gives the glass its color. It can be hand-blown or machine made. Bubbles are sometimes a common, charming addition to this type of glass, they are called seeds.

Soda Glass
This is a dull, brittle glass that contains no lead. Soda is added to the mixture to speed melting and solidification (much like the process used to make crack cocaine). The glass is composed of 50% silica (sand), 30% soda, 10% potash and 10% lime. Soda glass can be made in a machine and it can also be hand-blown.