Neighborhood on the North Side of Chicago, or the actual park for which it's named.

The north border of the neighborhood is Diversey Parkway; Lake Shore Drive (or Lake Michigan) provides the eastern boundary; North Avenue is the southern border; the western edge is Clybourn Avenue (or the Chicago River or the Kennedy Expressway further west, depending on the source).

The area is one of the more upscale neighborhoods in Chicago. This can be shown by the quite high median household income of $68,613 (as of 1999). Trendy cafes, bars and shops abound, along with some large majestic houses. Lincoln Park is one of the safest areas in Chicago, with the area being quite safe to walk around alone at night.

DePaul University is located in the area, as is the Lincoln Park Zoo, Lincoln Park Conservatory, and Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum.

The area was first settled in 1824 via an Army post. Lake Park was built a few decades later (in the east, near the Lake) and renamed Lincoln Park (along with the neighborhood) after Abraham Lincoln's assassination.

Lincoln Park is about 20 minutes from the downtown Loop. The Red Line and Brown Line trains both serve the area, along with a myriad of bus routes.

It's also my new home (where I will pull down that median income for years to come...).

Sources
"Lincoln Park 2003 Buyer's Guide and Membership Directory" by the Lincoln Park Chamber of Commerce
"Lincoln Park Get-Around Guide" by the LPCOC
www.lincolnparkchamber.com
Personal experience/knowledge