Major League Baseball franchise. The New York Mets entered the National League in 1962, 5 years after both the Dodgers and the Giants left New York for California. In fact, the team took blue and orange as their team colors (blue for the Dodgers; orange for the Giants). The team was officially named "Metropolitan Baseball Club", but became known to all as the Mets.

In their first season, the Mets were a horrible 40-120, playing home games in the Polo Grounds, and setting a record for most losses in a single season that still stands.

The team moved to Shea Stadium in Queens in 1964, and remained there through the 2007 season, after which they moved next door to the newly-constructed Citi Field.

After 7 straight losing seasons, the 1969 "Miracle Mets" shocked everyone by winning 100 games, sweeping Atlanta in the playoffs, and upsetting the Baltimore Orioles to win the World Series.

17 years later, the Mets pulled off another miracle in the postseason, when down to their final out in Game 6, the Mets rallied to win (see 1986 World Series - Game 6), and also took Game 7 and their second World Championship.

Other postseason appearances for the team included 1973 (losing in the World Series to Oakland), 1988 (falling to Los Angeles in the NLCS), 1999 (losing to Atlanta in the NLCS), and 2000 (falling short versus the crosstown New York Yankees in the Subway Series).

Some famous Mets players included Tom Seaver, Dwight Gooden, and Darryl Strawberry. Willie Mays spent the end of his Hall of Fame career as a member of the Mets, while Nolan Ryan started his historic career there.

Numbers retired by the team include #41 (for Seaver), #37 (for original manager Casey Stengel), and #14 (for manager Gil Hodges).