Make your own fortune cookies!

Ah, the tasty staple of any Chinese dish that would not make your meal complete if omitted. You can put any happy, depressing, funny, serious, personalized messages (or even a marriage proposal) in them that you want to. The recipe is not that hard.

However when working with fresh fortune cookies, speed is of the essence as they cool quickly due to their thickness.

ingredients:

  • 1 cup flour

  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/3 cup oil
  • 3 egg whites
  • 3 to 5 drops almond extract
  • 3 1/2 tablespoons water
  • Butter for cookie sheet

    -Heat oven to 300°F.
    -Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
    -Add ingredients and stir until the batter is smooth.
    -Line a cookie sheet with foil; butter foil, or spray with nonstick vegetable coating.
    -Drop level teaspoons (no more) of batter onto the cookie sheet, no more than 4 to a sheet.
    -Spread evenly to a 4 inch diameter.
    -Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until the cookies begin to brown lightly.
    -Remove from the oven and immediately remove 1 cookie with a broad spatula.
    -Place a fortune in the center, fold in half and press back against edge of counter or bowl to form fortune cookie shape. (this must be done quickly!) Hold for about 15 seconds.
    -Continue with the rest of the cookies without delay, as they harden fairly rapidly. If the cookies become too cold, return to oven for a few minutes and continue.
    -Repeat process with remaining batter.