Hummingbird flight:

Hummingbirds are one of the most amazing birds in this world. They are the only birds that can fly backwards and upside down. During mating season, male hummingbirds fly backwards, then forwards to attract a mate. Hummingbirds can fly horizontally, do barrel rolls, and even hover in mid-air.

Hummingbirds flap their wings over 10 times a second, and their heart beats over 1 000 times a minute. Normally, they have to eat their whole weight in food to maintain enough energy to last. Their wings are very strong, and the wing muscles account for about 25-30 per-cent of their body weight.

To hover, their wings paddle horizontally, making a cycle in both directions, in a figure-eight movement. In doing this, the wings pivot, making the feathers descend, pushing air in either direction. To fly forward, the wings paddle vertically.

Because of their size, hummingbirds have a flight technique more like insects then birds. Their bodies aren’t horizontal, but up-right. This means the wings can’t move up and down, like other birds, but sweep backwards and forwards, pushing air up instead of down. The wings pivot exactly 90 degrees every time they change direction. This allows air to get pushed up no matter what direction the wings move. Hummingbird wings are like the horizontal rotor of a helicopter.

The first time I saw a hummingbird was in Cozumel, Mexico. First of all I thought it was an over-sized insect, rather than a tiny bird. It is amazing how they can just hover there, and take nectar out of flowers. If you haven’t observed a hummingbird, it’s hard to understand.