The future keeps marching on and I’m concerned with that my perception of time is indeed speeding up. I can tell by looking at my last birthday daylog that grundoon’s memorial happened exactly a year ago, but the time-- to me-- has not felt long at all and I remember those days clearly. I remember going through a breakup I didn’t want to go through but was powerless to stop that still seems so close to touch, I remember floundering in a class I hadn’t wanted to take, I remember all of these things, and they weren’t long ago.

When I was in first grade, I remember sitting in front of a computer, some variant of an Apple, for some school assignment. I remember being bored and watching the computer’s clock waiting for recess. I knew the time of recess, and I knew that it was twenty minutes away. I thought, “Twenty minutes is forever!” Then I calculated out what I considered a long time, or a short time. Even back then five minutes was short. I thought twenty was long. An hour was forever. So, I figured the cut off was fifteen. Fifteen minutes, my six year old self decided wasn’t long, or very short, but in the middle and so fifteen minutes was the longest bearable time to wait for anything.

Ha! Now waiting is easy because everything happens so fast.

I do wonder though about this time dilation. Is it the product of changing brain chemistry, is it the product of the brain processing information more effectively? Or is it something outside of the human mind. Do all minds experience a speedup simply from existing for long periods of time? If we ever meet aliens I’ll have to ask them. Perhaps, ridiculously, the universe is speeding up in time (I don’t consider this likely).

Today, I have Sabaku Con to go to. That’s more of a personal reminder to myself when I read this next year.

That is all. Good day.

birthday past/birthday future