Well, my car was stolen yesterday which is somewhat inconvenient. After trying to get a hold of the police for about two or three hours (their non-emergency numbers appear to be non-functional on Sundays) I finally got an officer to stop by to take a report.

According to him, I have about a fifty percent chance of having the car recovered, but I'd like to imagine that my little Honda Civic is on a great journey down to Mexico that will end sort of like those cars in the Brave Little Toaster. But I have an active imagination, it's more likely being chopped to bits in some garage across the river somewhere.

I'm almost relieved. Not only do I now not have to pay the insurance for it, but I don't have to worry about it being broken into in the middle of the night (something that has happened twice), and I don't have to pay the 3.50 or whatever absurd price gasoline is this week. I hope the thieves (I imagine there were two of them, this has nothing to do with reality, just my mind's attempt to make the scene more interesting) like the minimal amount of gas in the tank I left in the tank for them and I hope their first thought when seeing the clothing stained with fake blood in the trunk is that the blood is real (an old Halloween costume I never removed).

The only thing I'm really missing is my George Clinton CD. I had lent it to a friend ages ago and got it back just Friday, but because I forgot to take it out of the car I no longer have it. This means I didn't have a chance to listen to it because one of the previous break-ins stole the car CD player. That time they also rifled through the glove box. I might have been fine with that because the radio and other valuables stolen are just nonsense and maybe the thief was only trying to make a living, but they also took a stick of half used deodorant which says to me that they were just dicks.

With the car stolen everything in it is gone. There was nothing valuable and so I'm not all that shaken up. I didn't buy it, my parents did as a high school graduation gift, so I've not lost any money. But it is inconvenient and now I've got to search for a job within walking distance, which rules out the Hastings at the intersection of Tramway and Candelaria where I was going to go today. Or, I suppose, I could brave Albuquerque's hellish (or rather really unreliable) public transit system and try to get up there that way.

I'm not sure if all of this is a good thing or a bad thing. After all, I really hate driving.


Update June 28, 2007: They found my car yesterday and I'm going to go down to a tow yard to pick it up later today once one of my parents get off work. It looks like the cops are good at something other than violating citizens' fourth amendment rights.