One of the major reasons our bodies have a Thyroid Gland is to produce hormones which will regulate the body's metabolism. If that gland does not produce enough, produces too much, or the hormone production becomes erratic, then Thryoid problems will ensue. The two major disorders are Hyperthyroidism and Hypothyroidism.

In hypothyroidism the gland does not produce sufficient hormone to regulate metabolism. This can be caused by Hashimotos thyroiditis (autoimmune thyroiditis), any number of medical procedures which can damage the cells within the thyroid, or problems within the patients pituitary gland.

Symptoms of hypothyroidism can include:

fatigue
weakness
weight gain or extreme difficulty in losing/controlling weight
coarse, brittle, or dry hair
dry, rough, pale skin
sensitivity to cold
muscle cramping and unexplained aches
constipation
depression
irritability
memory loss
abnormal menstrual cycles
decreased libido

Not all patients will suffer from all the symptoms. Any combination of the above symptoms should be discussed with a medical professional.

Very often it is the fatigue and depression that a patient will notice. It may require several doctor visits, and a psycological evaluation, to convince the doctors that the problem is physical and not emotional in nature. It is not uncommon for hypothyroidism to be untreated and a patient diagnosed with clinical depression.

Testing for hypothyroidism is a matter of a simple blood test. It is necessary for ALL thyroid hormone levels to be checked. This includes the TSH hormone (which is produced by the pituitary gland to stimulate thyroid homone production) and the T4 (which is the actual thyroid hormone itself). Many doctors will only test the T4, and prescribe synthetic hormone replacement accordingly. If a TSH level is also low, in conjunction with the T4, there is an indication that the pituitary gland is also damaged and further medical investigation should follow (a visit to an endocrinologist).

While more prevelant among women between 25 and 40 years of age, hypothyroidism does not discriminate in any fashion. It can strike male or female of any age. It is very much as disorder that can be lived with. Daily medication will allow a hypothyroid patient to lead a normal, active life. It is necessary to have hormone levels checked periodically and medications adjusted accordingly. The potential dangers of hypothyroid are minimal, and most relate to either misdiagnosis or lack of treatment. As with any medical condition, once diagnosed, the advice of a professional should be followed.

The information that I have written here is based solely on my own experience with having been diagnosed hypothyroid 8 years ago. I have researched and gathered information from my physicians, medical documentation, and personal experience.