Speed Dating at University

The Premise: Speed dating was introduced to British universities by a group of graduates from Cambridge in June this year. Trading under the name varsitydates.com they offered an evening of meeting 30 other like minded people in a non-academic setting. The idea being that you'll meet at least one person you like, and by 'matching' their yes to you, you get a match - and a 'proper date' in the future!

The reality: 60 young people crammed into a sweaty, but otherwise nice venue, seemed promising. Free drinks got the evening off to a good start and most people seemed to have made an effort: girls wearing pretty clothes, boys wearing aftershave (at least!). Problems didn't occur in the first few 'dates', but when you're part of such a small community, the inevitable questions are asked: I forget how many times I told guys my name, subject and college, in fact at times it felt like a job interview! (groan!) Making an effort's not a problem, but after 10-15 dates, I was not only losing my voice, but will to live... How much longer could it go on for?!

Ultimately, it is an enjoyable experience, but one I'd rather not repeat. Anticipating and receiving my matches was the most exciting bit, although I realised that I couldn't remember one, I had gone-off another, and I was already friends with the 3rd!! (we'd matched each other to avoid not getting a no-match score!). Nothing has come of my speed dating experience- but having said that, I have a friend who is at the beginning of a beautiful relationship with a wonderful guy - and all thanks to speed dating!