Relief

See also:Good ways to relieve menstrual cramping

Mint or Ginger Tea

A surprisingly small number of women seem to make use of ginger or mint tea as a source of relief. Laci Le Beau makes a tea called "Tummy Care" that contains a blend of ginger and mint. It comes in a pink box and it can be found in many drug stores including the large SavOn-Osco chain.

D,L-Phenylalanine

Phenylalanine is an amino acid that is supposedly involved with the transmission of pain signals in the brain. It is sold in capsules as large as 750 mg at health food stores and dietary supplement stores like GNC. It may also relieve some of the pain. Be careful not to take this product if you suffer from phenylketonuria.

Warm Compress

A warm, not hot, surface applied to the abdomen may help relax the tense muscles as well. This could be a towel with warm water or a heating pad.

Drugs

Ibuprofin works well. Don't take Asprin! Its an anticoagulant.

Diet

Decreasing the amount of sodium in your diet right before a menstrual cycle may be a good idea. Getting enough calcium and magnesium all of the time is important as well.

Pineapple Juice

Supposedly, drinking pineapple juice helps too. A pineapple juice extract is sometimes recommended for the days before plastic surgery.