I've been planting seeds for the past month, and I don't just mean the kinds that grow into plants (though I did plant some pomegranate seeds for fun). The more I start to view life as a garden analogy, the more fun and easy it is for me to deal with it. It's all about planting the seeds, occupying myself with other things, water regularly and check for results every once in a while. Not everything is going to grow right away, and there will be seeds that don't grow at all, which is why it's important to plant many seeds at once to maximize growing potential.

Examples

  • applying for jobs that I want but don't expect to get
  • commenting on blogs and leaving links to my own blog
  • writing articles for helium.com
  • attending a local writer's networking event just for the hell of it
  • giving people genuine compliments
  • installing a swag bucks search bar.

The results so far

  • a call-back for an office job that I did not expect to be contacted for
  • several visits to my blog in the past few days, on days when I did not post links
  • being voted to the top on two of my 5 articles written so far; it pays nothing (yet) but it feels great
  • someone I met at the networking event has asked me to volunteer at the book fair this weekend
  • connecting with more people in a positive way, which is big for someone as shy as me
  • sounds silly I know, but I almost have enough swag bucks to get an amazon.ca gift card, which makes me giddy

Most of the results are small. I'm hoping they'll keep growing bigger, or maybe some of the other seeds will yield something better. For the longest time I did not want to try anything besides school unless it would give me immediate results. It was juvenile to look at it that way, now that I think about it. I haven't even posted to Everything2 in a while due to the unhealthy amount of time that I have been spending on my other online writing.

Now if you don't mind, I need to go make my lunch for tomorrow and go to bed so I can wake up early for my shitty seasonal warehouse job. Haha, I love that I get to swear on this website. There are a few other write-ups in the works that I can't wait to get started on after work tomorrow. That's how I get through my days lately, thinking about my writing and working on it whenever I can. We all need something to work towards.