I also have an argument to hang on the hook of the statement of Lometa's :-

The Bible is all about the refusal of slavery and the pursuits of freedom. This struggle for the pursuit of moral absolutes, a holy good, makes the action of the Christian relevant to all people. The chief end of man IS the pursuit of freedom.

Most of the current Judeo-Christian organised religions seem to be made up of rules, any form of rules define what is possible and impossible, by definition. Therefore organised religions rules limit people's freedom.

Most people brought up in Christian countries seem to have adopted the ten commandments as a personal moral code, and believe as long as they stick to it, they will have a place in heaven; religon, or church attendance is not necessary.

However, having a moral code implies you are following rules; or, if you have no rules, you have no morality; despite having perfect freedom. I believe that the chief end of man is not just the pursuit of freedom, but to find a moral code that on average gives each individual within their society the greatest number of possible actions, whilst allowing a society that is stable and can advance.

That's why murder is the worst possible sin, through you exercising your freedom to kill, you cut untold possibilies from the future history of your society.

God allows us to stray, as trying to herd us only lessens our freedom. However if by listening to teachings, we come to accept that we have the most freedom possible,( within our society) the same result is acheieved without any limitations imposed on us from upon high.