Pressing to death, also known as peine forte et dure, was both a death sentence and a means of drawing out confessions. Adopted as a judicial measure during the 14th century, pressing reached its peak during the reign of Henry IV. In Britain, pressing was not abolished until 1772. The manner of its execution is described by Stow (Survey of London, 1720) as follows:

"The criminal is sent back to the prison whence he came, and there laid in some low dark room, upon the bare ground on his back, all naked except his privy parts, his arms and legs drawn with cords fastened to several parts of the room; and then there is laid on his body, iron, stone or lead, so much as he can bear; the next day he shall have three morsels of barley bread, without drink; and the third day shall have to drink some of the kennel water with bread. And this method is in strictness to be observed until he is dead."

According to Pike, it was customary in England to place a hard piece of timber under the back of the sufferer. (Luke Owen Pike, A History of Crime in England) This peculiar form of torture seems to have been little known or used in America. The only case of which there is any record is that of Giles Cory, charged with witchcraft in 1692. He steadfastly refused to plead, and was pressed to death.

When Major Strangeways was condemned to peine forte et dure, a heavy piece of iron was fixed anglewise over his heart and the attendants increased the pressure by throwing the weight of their own bodies upon it. The major was dead in eight or ten minutes.