This POW camp is located on the north western side of Greeley, CO. All that remains are 2 small stone pillars that made up part of the gate, and they can be found on the north side of west 10th Street.

It has been a common misconception around Greeley that this was one of the Japanese-American internment camps during WWII. Though there were a few in Colorado at the time, this was not one of them.

This POW camp was in operation from March 13, 1944 until February 28, 1946. The camp measure 320 acres on which 2,000 prisoners resided. Most of these prisoners were German-Austrian soldiers serving in General Erwin Rommel's Afrika Korps. One of the prisoners was the personal auto mechanic of the Desert Fox.

Due to shortage of laborers, internees filled in as field workers in the sugar beet farms. POWs were also placed in jobs according to their profession and abilities. About 25% of the prisoners spoke English as well.

There were between 150-200 American personnel staffed to guard the camp.

One panel on each of the two small pillars have a plaque on them detailing the information I have presented. It was marked on September 28, 1993 by the Daughters of the American Revolution.


Roninspoon pointed out that he thought there was a successful escape from this camp, interesting!

Thanks Roninspoon!!!