Chord's burrito recipe

 

So last year, I gave you all my recipe for Rice n' fish n' beans n' tater.

And THIS year I realized that I had inadvertently made a basic burrito filling. Which led me to learn through trial and error how to make a decent burrito.

I shall now give you the secret of my marvelous burritos.

 

INGREDIENTS

1 cup rice

1 cup beans (any kind, I like black beans)

1 big potato (Ideally Yukon Gold)

1 can sardines, ideally packed in oil instead of water

1 bell pepper (any color)

1 tablespoon butter

Large tortillas

Tomato salsa (I prefer mild spice, don't make fun of me)

Sour cream

 

INSTRUCTIONS

To make the burrito filling:

1. Soak beans in water for 8 hours or overnight.

2. Boil beans on high for thirty minutes or until fork-tender. When finished, drain and set aside.

3. Boil 1 cup of rice in 2 cups of water for 20 minutes or until done.

4. Melt butter in large fry pan on medium heat. Open can of sardines a bit and drain the oil into the pan while keeping the sardines in the can.

5. Grate the potato, like you're making a latke. (I never press the water out of my grated potato but you do you.) Fry grated potato in pan for five minutes on medium heat, stirring and flipping occasionally.

6. When potatos are finished, turn off heat.

7. Dice bell pepper into small chunks.

8. Take sardines out of can and chop very fine. (Or you could just toss them in with everything else at the end and let them come apart while stirring everything together.)

9. Combine beans, rice, potatoes, sardines, and bell pepper in large bowl.

To make the burrito:

1. Heat a tortilla in a fry pan on medium, for one minute per side. Maybe start out with 1.5 minutes for side 1 of tortilla 1. (The real idea here is to make sure the skillet is hot enough for when you're grilling the burrito closed.)

2. Place a quantity of burrito filling on tortilla, amount depending on the size of your tortilla. Combine with salsa and sour cream, to taste.

3. Fold top and bottom inch (or two) of tortilla over burrito filling. Then fold the sides over.

4. Flip burrito over so that the flap sides are down, then place in fry pan. Grill for until bottom side of tortilla is crispy and golden brown. (I usually pick the burrito up with my hands to check, but maybe you want to use tongs or something.)

 

And there you have a marvelous burrito. Makes an excellent breakfast for when you're in a rush and you need something hearty.

To make the recipe vegetarian, simply remove the sardines. Which, let's be honest, aren't doing much besides adding one's daily necessity of protein anyway.

To make the recipe vegan, use canola oil for frying instead of butter, and remove the sour cream along with the sardines.