On the one hand, being an adult on Halloween is fun because you get to buy your own candy. Why, you can buy bags and bags of it! Reese's Peanut Butter Cups and Hershey's bars by the score!

On the other hand, if you buy your own candy then you know exacty what you're getting, and you're not going around to people's houses and getting the Weird Candy.

The Weird Candy is the obscure stuff, i mean the really obscure stuff, that only seems to show up on Halloween. You've never actually seen it sold in the grocery store, not on the display racks at the counter nor in the aisles. Stuff like Tongue Stamp lolipops, fruit-flavored tootsie rolls, Bit-O-Honey, Warhead gummies, and all manner of things that seem like they were based on one production run, but they show up at Halloween every year, as if people are still trying to get rid of the surplus left over from wartime or something.

Where DOES it come from? Who still sells Bit-O-Honey? Why can't I find it in stores? How do people get it every year in time for Halloween? Maybe I need to go and look harder for it during the 364 days between now and next Halloween. I always lived for this kind of candy, even if I hated it, because the novelty was more important than the taste.

And if I find it, then next year I can buy bags of Bit-O-Honey, and disappoint everyone who comes to my door. But I will never, ever give out the Vanilla Tootsie Rolls. I will find whoever invented the Vanilla Tootsie Roll and shoot them.