According to a reports from the Campaign for Honesty in Education and a particular report in June 1994, cheating is an almost natural occurence in Polish educational institutions. In a book by Jan Karski written in 1944, Story of a Secret State, the author refers to the Polish "custom of cheating."

In the June 1994 report, a girl recounted how her classmates would wear sciegawka (cheat sheets) under their stockings. In order to see the cheat sheets, the students would cross their legs and lift their skirts to peek at the answers. Male test-takers favorably watching these girls lift their skirts would not report such cheating practices.

During one oral exam in Poland, a student carried information on cards which he cupped into his palm. He was caught and reprimanded by one examiner and admonished by the other simply because the student had the audacity to cheat on an oral examination whereas other students would only cheat on written exams.

Perhaps a reason for such a cheating phenomenon in Polish educational institutions is the fact that the average Polish student has to study 10 different subjects all at once. The educational system values memorization over critical thinking and personal creativity.