A hit movie from Hong Kong starring Steven Chow.

Review/Synopsis

Sing is a spoiled rich brat who goes to college in Hawaii where he likes to terrorise one boy by giving him laxative $100 bills and then blowing up the toilet while he is sitting on it.

He also takes his servant, Tat, along with him to classes and they go to a biology class one day being held by Professor Chang (who looks like a Chinese Einstein), who will let him ask questions if he can watch the dissection for 3 minutes.

In the cafeteria later Chang's niece, Chung Chung tells Sing off for bossing everyone around as he only does it as his did is the director of the college. When he tells her that his dad isn't the director, everyone appears to beat him up.

Later that night Sing and Tat break into Professor Chang's house to get back at him for getting Sing beat up and they find more than they bargain for in the laboratory in the basement.

The next day Sing's neighbour comes over to use the bathroom and he is quite taken with her. They end out going out together to a club (an excellent piss-take of Pulp Fiction ensues). On the way home he passes out from too much drugs and booze and there is another parody of Pulp Fiction. Sing also finds out that the woman he went out with has a husband who is a Japanese Triad boss who immediately tries to kill him.

Sing ends up hiding in his house wearing American football gear, but the Triad boss' men come after him. Tat arrives to help him, but they end up handcuffed to the washbasin in the bathroom with a bomb ticking down.

Going totally against his type, Sing decides to save Tat by putting him on the 'spring toilet' just before the bomb explodes. Next we see Chung Chung wake from a dream that Sing has been blown up. Chang comes in to see what is wrong and is surprised by a phone call from the hospital saying Ching has been blown up.

At the hospital Chang says he can rebuild Sing, but it will cost $60 million, Tat only has $6000 so Chang offers him a discount rate as he will do the work in his basement.

Early efforts at Sing's reconstruction are less than successful, but eventually he is rebuilt with artificial parts (and a hose attachment with a brass tap), but he can't get wet or he won't be able to move. Sing is very excited by his new limbs, so excited that he can't stop jiggling about until his battery runs down (he has to eat batteries for his food also.)

Tat suggests they go to Hong Kong to hide out as the Triad boss is still looking for him.

2 years later, Sing is given a job teaching at a school. What he doesn't know that the school is for rich kids who are just like he used to be and he gets beat up by the kids and dragged around by his hose attachment. Hanging off the gate later that day, he sees Chung Chung is now a teacher at that school, but she now has a boyfriend.

Sing can't face another day at the school and is just about to jump off the roof of his house when Professor Chang arrives with a microchip that he throws into his mouth. This turns him into a 'Super Superman' who is able to change anything he likes, although he has trouble at first and can only change into a rice cooker and a jumbo tube of toothpaste.

The next part of the film gets a bit crazy with silly action so I won't try to explain it, but it is very funny. The only thing I didn't understand was 'Mrs Wong' who is meant to be famous but I didn't get the joke.

A very funny film but I found some of the jokes at the beginning a bit crass. I also managed to win the poster at the screening I went to (it was the door prize). The poster itself is a send up of the Robocop poster with the various transformations attached to the main body of Steven on the poster.

Rating : 8/10