Ryan Adams - Gold


Track Listing:

  1. New York, New York (Adams)
  2. Firecracker (Adams)
  3. Answering Bell (Adams)
  4. La Cienega Just Smiled (Adams)
  5. The Rescue Blues (Adams)
  6. Somehow, Someday (Adams)
  7. When the Stars Go Blue (Adams)
  8. Nobody Girl (Adams/Johns)
  9. SYLVIA PLATH (Adams/Causon)
  10. Enemy Fire (Adams/Welch)
  11. Gonna Make You Love Me (Adams)
  12. Wild Flowers (Adams)
  13. Harder Now That It's Over (Adams)
  14. Touch, Feel & Lose (Adams/Rawlings)
  15. Tina Toledo's Street Walkin' Blues (Adams/Johns)
  16. Goodnight, Hollywood Blvd. (Adams/Causon)

Initial copies of Gold came with a 5-track EP called Side Four; its track listing was:

  1. Rosalie Come and Go (Adams)
  2. The Fools We Are as Men (Adams)
  3. Sweet Black Magic (Adams/Johns)
  4. The Bar Is a Beautiful Place (Adams)
  5. Cannonball Days (Adams)


Personnel:


Gold was Ryan Adams' second solo album, after leaving Whiskeytown, and was released on the Lost Highway label in September 2001. It's a pretty accomplished affair; almost too accomplished - some critics have claimed that it lacks the soul and feeling of his previous album, Heartbreaker, and his work with Whiskeytown. The album includes contributions by Chris Stills, son of Steven Stills, and veteran steel guitarist Bucky Baxter.

The album is a mix of alt-country (New York, New York, and Firecracker in particular) and rock (including the Zeppelin-esque Gonna Make You Love Me and the rocking Enemy Fire), with a smattering of string-ornamented, low-key ballads (When The Stars Go Blue, SYLVIA PLATH and the lovely closer Goodnight Hollywood Blvd.). The mix of styles never jars, though, and despite its length, the album is a consistantly rewarding listen, and shows Adams' many influences, without being too blatant about it. These influences include Neil Young (on Harder Now It's Over), Bob Dylan and The Rolling Stones (on Tina Toledo's Street Walkin' Blues) and Gram Parsons (When The Stars Go Blue). To my ears, the album sounds a little like a country version of the White Stripes.

Some information taken from www.allmusic.com