Edward Teller is known as the father of the Hydrogen Bomb. Originally born in Hungary, he later worked under Werner Heisenberg in Germany, but fled to Denmark to work under Niels Bohr in 1934 when the Nazis came to power. He eventualy emigrated to the United States, worked on the Manhattan project under J. Robert Oppenheimer, and was one of the few researchers insisting that the bomb should be more powerful. He produced the calculations that proved the nuclear reaction would not propagate and destroy the earth. The first bomb was much simpler and less powerful than his design, but his ideas were eventually accepted by the US Government after the USSR conducted their first nuclear weapons test.

Teller always felt the scientists at Los Alamos were too ambivalent about creating fusion weapons, so he lobbied for the creation of Lawrence Livermore laboratory in California. When suspicion fell on Oppenheimer for disloyalty, his security clearance was revoked, and most of his friends blamed Teller for it, creating a rift between him and most of his former colleagues.

Also known as the possible inspiration for the movie Dr. Strangelove, Teller had a very similar German accent, and had a foot amputated by a streetcar accident.