1960s Horror Movie Poster Letters:

ATTACK OF THE KILLER TOURISTS!

After several months' hiatus, I'm playing that game again...

I requested a random character, and got a lousy tourist, arguably the weakest, solely-for-shits-and-giggles-est character types in the game... I decided to play her, just for larphs...

*Blink*--Level 2--*Blink*--Levels 3,4,5--
*heartbeat*

*Blink*

Before I knew it, I had *real weapons*, as well as a Blessed +1 Hawaiian Shirt, Elvish Mithril-coat, Elvish cloak and boots, +1 orcish helm, and sweetest of all, gauntlets of power...

*Blink**Blink*--Level 7-- Completely dominating the dungeon, with a lowly Tourist!

At this point, I'd even escaped near-certain-death several times, like that lousy cursed scroll of create monster which filled the room with baddies... Luckily, the wise tourist always keeps the proper tools handy: in this case, an unidentified spellbook so far beyond this tourist's comprehension that the mere act of reading it causes (involuntary?) teleportation. In this case, snatching victory out of the jaws of a bugbear, a roomful of Mordor orcs, a rothe or two, and other assorted nasties. Slinked behind a closed door to heal, then hid in a narrow hallway, ambushing the monsters one by one as they had to go after me single-file...

But alas, some things are just too good to last... a duo of nymphs began swiping my hard-pillaged swag, and I was literally tearing up the level to track them down (thanks to my trusty pickaxe), and eventually, in my carelessness, I stumbled into a floating eye, and was paralysed and summarily torn apart by a roving pack of jackals.

Still, level 8 is not too shabby for a tourist, eh?


Disclaimer: If you had absolutely no idea what I was talking about, I implore you: do not ever play a wonderful, twisted little game called Nethack! It will gobble up your spare time faster than Pacman on crack....

"Abandon all hope, ye who enter"...


Update 29 March 2002: A new tourist reached (xp) level 10, thanks to a wand of wishing, gauntlets of power, blessed +2 GDSM, blessed +3 elven broadsword, blessed bag of holding, and some other goodies. Again I was undone by a nymph, and died while trying to recover my armor. Grumble. Next time I find a b?oG, I'm typing n!