A fictional realm created in the minds of believers of organized religion worldwide, where the wicked are supposedly punished for their earthly sins. The clergy of religions that believe in this (e.g. Christianity) reference to this place as a method of mind control to enforce their standards of morals upon their gullible believers.

The concept of hell itself represents the nature of most organized religion. The use of negative enforcement of behavior upon others in such a mass scale already does not speak well for any religion. If anyone tells me that I will "go to hell" if I decide to masturbate or swear, then they can be damned.

One fallacy in that logic, as far as my limited knowledge of theology goes, is it violates the concept that God is merciful. Wouldn't the fact that hell exists in Christianity deter possible new-comers from the faith, as well as make believers think twice? In addition, why do people require a "hell" to fear in order to behave? Does its existence in the back of your head alter your behavior? Shouldn't your own conscience and morality be used to judge yourself instead of a fictional entity?

The phrase "punishing the wicked" sounds like a sort of last laugh used to make people feel better. If you go through life repressing your desires, and you convince yourself that they will get their just desserts in the end, doesn't it make hell a childish revenge?

Example: I didn't get to do all those things I wanted to do, but I get to go to heaven, and they will go to hell. Ha ha, my repression has paid off! Who's laughing now?

If hell is required for a religion to maintain discipline in the ranks of the believers, then I think the religion is not worth following. Unfortunately, all religions contain some type of reward/punishment system for regulating behaviors, even buddhism (e.g. reborn as a rat if you misbehave). The existence of heaven and hell is one reason I am atheist.

See also heaven.