This has been probably the most asked question of my life. Depending on how it's asked, my response has varied from the finger to an intimate conversation into the wee hours of the morning.

I don't consider myself an asshole in the usual case, so let me qualify that remark about giving the finger. I've actually never responded that way, but I almost have a couple of times. I remember one was when this really obnoxious ex-girlfriend of a friend of mine was here. She offered me a beer and someone else offered up "Vineet doesn't drink." She turned to me and gave me a heartfelt "Oh, that sucks. I'm sorry."

Sorry? I thought. I certainly don't need your pity.

Generally people ask me with some degree of respect and even sometimes envy. I try not to let it go to my head, though. My short answer is that "I don't feel like I need it." That's good enough for some, but sometimes it goes on a bit more:

I'm a big fan of if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Remember this is the guy who will walk into a restaurant 3 times a week for 4 years and order the same damned thing every time. I don't think I'm boring, I kinda just like to leave well enough alone. That part is the same as the reason I don't eat veggies.

But it's not as haphazard as that simple explanation makes it sound. I have given it a lot of thought. I kinda see it as something I'd need a reason to start doing, rather than something I need a reason not to do. I sometimes ask people why they do drink. The usual responses are "to fit in," "to be social," and "to let loose." I think I do all right covering all three of these on my own.

I've been told by people that my nonchalance is astounding regarding my stress levels towards school and other "big responsibilities." I guess I'm lucky enough to get by without stressing. I've never been really stressed out over anything. When it comes to socializing, I have my barriers. So far, though, I've never been in a situation where I haven't been able to let them down. I've never felt unable to let loose and socialize, so no catalyst seems necessary.

There are a couple of reasons I've come up with through my own observations, that people either aren't aware of or can't say aloud. I sometimes see people using alcohol as an excuse to act a little dumber. I don't mean that in a bad way. Consider the man who can't get on the dance floor until he's had a few drinks, or the kid who can't go up and talk to a girl without a little liquid courage. I am not those people. I'll dance when I want to dance, and I'll talk to the women I'm going to talk to without needing any form of crutch.

So fine, it's not a necessity for me. But it's fun, right? Why not give it a try?

I can have my fun. And if I want a drink in my hand, nothing beats a Pepsi. There are more obvious reasons not to drink, too. I've seen plenty of alcohol abuse, and I've had to clean up after plenty of it as well. I'm talking about all kinds of cleanup, from mild to just not cool: Holding back a puker's hair. Babysitting for hours. Staying up and watching someone sleep so they don't drown in vomit. Cleaning up plenty of vomit. Driving people home. Carrying people home. Carrying people to the Emergency Room. Calling 911 when my friend got hit by a drunk driver. Caring for drunken injuries. Filling in memories. Helping straighten out BLTs.

Someone once asked me if I didn't drink because I was a control freak. Later that night I ended up being the only one able to talk to the Fire Department, cleaning up $1200 worth of damage to my kitchen, and calling an ambulance for my roommate.

I'm not even militantly saying everyone should give it up, or that anyone should aspire to follow my lead. I just wish more people could acknowledge that it's a reasonable conclusion to have reached for myself, and let me have it.

I don't think that's too much to ask.