Released in 1993 by Ruff House/Columbia and bearing one of the infamous Tipper Gore "Parental Advisory: Explicit Lyrics" stickers, Black Sunday is the second album from the well-known rap trio Cypress Hill, and contains their best-known song, "Insane in the Brain."

Unlike those most gangsta rap albums, not all of the lyrics on this disc are about bustin' caps in mothafucker's asses. Gang violence only accounts for about half the album; the rest of the songs area about smoking pot, apparently one of the group's favorite pastimes. The liner notes for the album, along with a few odd pictures, sample and songwriting credits, contain 19 facts about cannabis.

The sampling used on this album is pretty diverse, ranging from Black Sabbath's "The Wizard" to Dusty Springfield's "Son of a Preacher Man," which some may recognize as the song playing in the Wallaces' home in Pulp Fiction when Vincent arrives to pick Mia up for dinner.

All in all, this CD is a worthwhile purchase for anyone with even a passing interest in rap music; none of the fourteen tracks on this album need to be skipped over, and clocking in under 45 minutes in length, it's short enough of a listen for even the shortest attention span.



Track listing:

1. I Wanna Get High
2. I Ain't Goin' Out Like That
3. Insane in the Brain
4. When the Shit Goes Down
5. Lick a Shot
6. Cock the Hammer
7. Interlude
8. Lil' Putos
9. Legalize It
10. Hits from the Bong
11. What Go Around Come Around, Kid
12. A to the K
13. Hand on the Glock
14. Break 'em Off Some