Sigh. Sometimes stupid, easy decisions keep weighing on our mind even though we know we made the right decision. Mine involves a choice between my wonderful fiance and my job. The decision between the professional world and the personal world usually come in conflict, but this one really has me on the fence, even though it shouldn't. As I've mentioned before, I'm currently getting by as a loader for UPS, the United Parcel Service. It's not a bad job, I've lost 25 lbs in 10 weeks, and have gained muscle mass and definition, plus I've been getting paid. No, not a lot, which is the problem.

The daysort (the shift I work) is changing schedules this weekend. Today is the only day I have off from work. The schedule used to be the normal Monday - Friday that almost everyone goes through. However, UPS spies have informed the hivebrain that the dreaded pirates of FedEx don't follow this sane regime. This, of course, means that we must change to mimic our competition in order that we don't get left behind. Personally, I'd rather see our throughput increased, and think that would be a better way to compete, rather than fuck up the schedules for people but I digress.

So, we're changing our work schedule. Now it's Sunday-Thursday; no Monday - Friday sanity for us, oh now. We're too good to be normal. I think it really is a smart idea to take away 5 hours of football watching and beer swilling from the blue collared workers. I'm sure they'll love that. Especially the divorced parents who only see their kids on the weekends. They'll love it too.

Ok, so I don't really like working on Sundays as I fall into the beer-swilling football watching portion of the populace, but there is a good side. They noticed that people, obviously enough, might resist to the change somewhat at first. So, to counteract this and get people to show up to work they're offering a bonus. Show up for the first two Sundays to work, get a $200 bonus in your check. Shibby.

They do this kind of stuff a lot. If you show up for work every day of the week, you get a $50 bonus, which is nice as it actually gives you SOME money to take home to blow on booze every thursday, but it's not good. Nope, no good at all, because I can't get it.

Remember that dilemma I mentioned earlier? Well, my fiance's fall break from College occurs next weekend. So, like the awesome angel of awesomeness that she is, she's coming out to visit. We haven't seen each other in god knows how long now. The long distance has put strains on our relationship, and not seeing each other in a while is adding more (and me not calling for 4 days didn't help any either. Remember boys, give her a call. Don't fuss, just do). However, because of where we'll be and how things are gonna work out, I'll be away from her for 8 hours if I go to work. Atleast.

What really sucks is that I haven't missed a day of work yet. I've been putting in more hours than almost anyone as I've been making my bid for management. I'm not complaining, mind you, for since I've started staying later I've seen my check work it's way up to almost worthy of the back-breaking work I do. I don't want to miss this one day of work, but I have too. I told my fiance half the deal, I left out the 200 dollar part. The only other problem is that I'll lose the 50 dollar attendance bonus too, as well as the ~$20 from working that day. Sigh, it's sad how much importance I'm putting on this money. I've got enough to get by. Missing this work isn't gonna kill me. But I wanna work, dammit!

Meh, enough whining for today. Hopefully I'll get another win in Fantasy Football this week. E2 fantasy hockey starts soon, too. Just discovered my team was picked. I just wish I knew anything about hockey, it's like, the one sport I don't follow (besides Jai Alai and Cricket(Yes, I follow Midget Tossing)).


Cheap plug alert
PS: If you wanna work for UPS, they have this referral bonus thingy, where we'd both get 100 bucks after 30 days of you (the new hire) working for them. If you need a part time job (which will give you full health care after 6 months, and some other bonuses and nice benefits) that will get you in shape and give you some beer money, let me know. I'll give you the hook up, and you say you were referred by me and we're kosher like a pickle, boooyah!