1. What is your name?

RimRod Rimroddington

2. What is your quest?

On e2? To find a writeup once a week that makes me smile or laugh.

3. What is your favorite color?

Blue

4. How did you discover Everything, and how did you become a noder?

Through Slashdot. I was a somewhat frequent Slashdot commenter back then and started playing around with E1 once they started pimping it over there. I probably had 100 or so writeups on E1 before forgetting about it. I actually wasn't around for the E2 transition in '99, but rediscovered the site a year later or so and got heavily involved again.

5. What do you see as the most significant changes that have happened to Everything over the past decade?

I don't think many of us realized it at the time, but with ten years of hindsight it's pretty clear: The advent and soaring popularity of Wikipedia was the true impetus that changed E2 from "The Wild West, With Jokes" to "A Writer's Site For Pretentious Bad Writers".

6. What are your favorite writeups -- both your own and from other noders?

My McDonalds ones were ridiculously popular, but were never my favorites. Some of the writeups from my Late Period, like Wendy's and Who put the bomp I still get a kick out of. I think I was hitting my stride and learning how to write for The New E2, and then I graduated college and suddenly had no more time. Life Happens.

From other writers, there have been so many favorites. It's an interesting exercise to think of my favorites now, to see who still sticks in my memory 5 or 10 yeras later...I think codic was probably one of the best. I liked a lot of iceowl's Antarctica writeups. Roninspoon's Army stories were just ridiculously funny.

7. What are your favorite and least favorite memories from E2's history?

I thought the April Fool's Day incident brought out both the best and worst of E2. There were so many people that just couldn't take a joke. I feel like that even just a year earlier and it would've blown over in hours, if not minutes.

8. What keeps you coming back?

Finding a random gem of a random writeup from 2004 that I'd never seen before.

9. What do you hope for E2's future?

I hope that writers with the ability to write funny things in 1000 characters instead of 100,000 characters come back.

10. What does E2 mean to you?

When I was on my honeymoon in Italy, there was an "officer" in the Pantheon in Rome who was collecting signatures for the restoration of the Italian kings to the throne--sixty years after they were booted out of Italy after WWII. I mean, by this point they must know that they have no chance of success, right? I don't know why, but that reminded me of e2. Fighting the good fight.

11. Is E2 a writing site, a community site, an online encyclopedia, or something else? What should it be?

It's a writing site. I really, REALLY liked what E2 was from 1999-2002ish, which was a subjective encyclopedia with a fallible narrator.

12. Who are your favorite noders? Which ones do you miss the most?

I don't keep up with it these days enough to know who my favorites would be now. I miss sensei.

13. Who would play you in the Everything2 movie?

Let's go with Paul Giamatti.

14. Any questions that I didn't ask that I should've?

You did good, champ. NOW GET OFF MY LAWN, I'M OLD AND GRIZZLED.

Everything2 Decaversary Interviews

If you have questions or comments, please contact RimRod or Jet-Poop.