Engine Oil:

The most important fluid to check. Make sure the engine is turned off, and the car parked on level ground. The best time to check your oil is when the engine is cool, as the oil clings to the dipstick better, and it has had a chance to flow back into the bottom of the engine. Remove the dipstick, wipe it with a rag or paper towel and fully reinsert it. Remove it again, the oil should be between the "add" and "full" mark (occasionally these may just be holes drilled in the stick). The oil should be a golden brown colour, and fairly clear. If it is very dark or opaque, it may be time for an oil change. If the oil level is at or below the "add" mark, add enough oil to bring it back up to the "full" mark. Generally, it takes 1 litre of oil to fill from the "add" mark to the "full" mark. Be sure to use the correct grade of oil as indicated in your owner's manual.

Automatic Transmission Fluid:

If your car doesn't have an automatic transmission, disregard this section. Transmission fluid should be checked with the engine running. Be sure your car is parked on level ground, start the engine, and open the hood. Find the automatic transmission fluid dipstick, remove it, wipe it off with a rag, and reinsert it. Remove it again. The fluid should be within the "full" range. The fluid should be bright pink. If it is amber or brown, its a sign the fluid should be changed. If the fluid is black or burnt-smelling, its a sign there might be something wrong with your transmission. Bring your car to a qualified mechanic.

Engine Coolant:

Make sure your car is parked on level ground, and the engine is off. NEVER check your coolant when the engine is hot. The coolant could spurt out of the radiator cap and scald you. Locate the radiator cap, it is on the top of the radiator at the front of the engine compartment. The coolant should be within one inch of the top of the opening. If the coolant is low, mix 50% water and 50% antifreeze and add enough to fill the radiator. The coolant should be a bright greenish yellow or orange colour, and clear. If the coolant is opaque and/or brown, it may be time to have it changed.

Brake Fluid:

The brake fluid reservoir is usually clearly labeled, and usually on the driver's side of the car. Clean the reservoir cover and the area surrounding it before opening the reservoir to keep dirt and debris from getting into the master cylinder. The brake fluid should be clear to amber coloured, or have a purple tint. If the fluid is brown or black, it should be replaced.

Power Steering Fluid:

The power steering fluid reservoir is usually clearly labelled. It is best to check the power steering fluid when the engine is warm. The reservoir cap will have a small dipstick attached to it. Be sure that the fluid is within the acceptable range. If you have to add fluid, check your owner's manual for the proper type of fluid to add.