... AKA Catwoman...

Julie Newmar is a genuine Queen of the "B"s, credited in the IMDb with 35 film appearances and 44 "notable" TV appearances. Except for her first two or three films, every single one of the movies she was in was bad, some of them being definitively forgettable made-for-television movies. Most of her later performances are in cheap sci-fi exploitation pieces.

However, Newmar's name is still recognizable to the general public, and she was used as a motivational device in 1995's "To Wong Foo, Thanks For Everything! Julie Newmar" (yet another fairly B-grade Americanization of "Priscilla, Queen of the Desert"). How did she remain popular? The answer is "Catwoman". After a two-season run as Rhoda, the sexy robot star of "My Living Doll", Julie Newmar became the definitive Catwoman, one of the high points of the campy Batman television series that started in 1966. She appeared in 13 episodes of Batman, ensuring that if worse ever came to worst, she could at least make a career of appearing at comic conventions and Batman marathons on local television. Although movie commitments made her miss the third season of Batman, to be replaced by Eartha Kitt, Newmar is still widely recognized as the Catwoman.

Julie describes herself: "I'm magnificent! I'm five feet eleven inches and I weigh one hundred thirty-five pounds, and I look like a racehorse." This was a classic Newmar quote - charming and beautiful, she isn't afraid to point out her own assets, but she also wants to be recognized for her comedy. She has never been completely committed to the "I'm a starlet" group, taking time out for stage productions, motherhood in her forties, and inventing "Nudemar" pantyhose (for cheeky derriere relief, naturally). Always likeable and charming in all her talkshow appearances and conventions, Julie Newmar is the very definition of a cult goddess and fan favourite.