I'm a fraud writing under this node, since I do have a child. A teenager at that. And I have a set of rules for her. But they are my rules for my daughter, I don't expect anyone else to follow them.

I don't intend to list them in detail here, since that would be contradicting the paragraph above, but mostly they are concerned with contributing to the household, in terms of time, effort and consideration, if she expects to get things out.

There are restrictions too. She has a curfew. The streets are not safe, however much we might want them to be, and the later it gets, the riskier it is. I have a duty of care and if she's not back by curfew, I will go looking. She isn't allowed to display things I or my husband find offensive (though we will explain why we find them offensive before asking her to take them down) and she isn't allowed to do anything permanent to her body (e.g. piercing or tattoos) that she might regret when the dictates of fashion change.

Alongside the rules for her, are the rules for us. If she delivers on her promises, we have to deliver on ours. Some things are private. We don't read her journal and provided her with a lockable one, so she could feel confident we couldn't. We have a right to ask questions about her life, but unless they have a direct impact on us (e.g. knowing where she is going, how long she'll be, and where we should meet her) we don't have a right to demand answers.

The rules aren't about making life miserable for her. They aren't even about the adult she will become. They're about providing an environment where she is safe, where we are secure in the knowledge that she is safe and where we can all get along as well as possible, without being in constant conflict.