Hunter: The Reckoning is an RPG created by White Wolf Game Studios.

In terms of backstory, this game is much different than Vampire: The Masquerade, or Mage: The Ascension, in that it provides the Hunter with very little power in comparison. The story is simple: "We are Hunters, and they (referring to supernatural creatures) are the Hunted." A good Hunter can easily be corrupted by his power, and by seeing the supernatural world for what it is - a frightening world filled with creatures that go bump in the night. One main theme, in a good storyline, is that a Hunter must balance the powers he has against his own normal life. With this considered, a Hunter can easily become quite deranged, his mind unable to cope with the pressure of taking on all the evil in the world.

When set up against the other games White Wolf has created, it does not seem at first that Hunter would stand very well on its own, and perhaps it doesn't, but that, of course, is up to the individual to decide.

A Hunter's inner faith runs on Conviction. He must believe that he can accomplish the feats he knows are possible are within him. Anything can fuel Conviction - rage, sadness, pain, or even simple faith in a power greater than the Hunter. On the other side of the coin, it's also fair to say that a Hunter's power is mostly subconscious.

Where vampires, according to the White Wolf game systems, have disciplines, powers granted by their immortal blood, Hunters have gifts simply called Edges. The word is apt - Edges are simply a bonus given to Hunters, rather than the inherent powers that a vampire's blood bestows upon the vampire. His Edges over his enemy offer him somewhat of a better chance at fighting that thousand year old vampire, rather than permitting the Hunter to become a demi-god, filled with supernatural energies. Each Hunter belongs to a specific Creed, that which separates a Hunter's abilities from that of another Hunter. The Redemption Creed could easily be described as the people who presided over the European Witch Trials. The Martyrdom Creed includes the people who are willing to sacrifice their very bodies to protect the innocent, or to simply kill, kill, kill.

This RPG is balanced against the other White Wolf games, in that a Hunter's Edges are powerful enough to do a good amount of damage, but regardless of this, a Hunter is still an average mortal character. He cannot become immortal, and as he grows old or confronts supernatural creatues, he can gain derangements, and eventually become quite monstrous in his own right.

There is not much information regarding where a Hunter gains his power from, but it can be safely assumed that a call-to-arms was granted by the Messengers, beings which the game speaks little of. They can be loosely described, perhaps, as angels.

There will undoubtedly be many additions to the game; the Exalted provide almost a cliffhanger to the general premises, stories and ideas of this wonderful, candy-coated, melt-in-your-mouth game.


For more info, please go to http://www.white-wolf.com

Other White Wolf games:

Vampire: The Masquerade
Mage: The Ascension
Werewolf: The Apocalypse
Changeling: The Dreaming
Wraith: The Oblivion