My favourite Woody Allen quote is:

"I don't want to achieve Immortality through my work.
I want to achieve Immortality by not dying!"


Woody Allen has also published several books of his comedy material "Getting Even", "Without Feathers", and "Side Effects" containing a lot of short articles etc. (many from The New Yorker). They are very much in the Style of S.J. Perelman (who enjoyed Allen's work). A prime example is "The Whore of MENSA" from "Without Feathers". There was also the somewhat surreal "Death: A Comedy in One Act".

The BBC did transmit some of this material in 6 quarter hour episodes on Radio 4 as "The Woody Allen Reader". It was all read by Canadian Kerry Shale (the only man Allen would let read it) and he was not allowed to change a word. Unfortunately the contract with Woody Allen required them to destroy all masters and copies within a short time of Transmission so that it could never be repeated. I feel certain however that a number of listeners knowing this stipulation kept their own private copies.

The episodes were:

  • Mr Big
  • Death Knocks
  • The Schmeed Memoirs
  • The Scrolls (+ Notebook Selection)
  • Socrates Dream (+ Notebook Selection)
  • Count Dracula

Also Soren.Harward how could you give even a partial list of Woody's movies without listing the following:
  • "Stardust Memories" (1980) - the one where the aliens tell him they preferred his early films (the funny ones).
  • "Sleeper" (1973) - The movie where Woody reckons he should have won a Hugo (if anyone had realised it was Science Fiction)
However with the number of films he's made I guess you're always going miss some (and I did appreciate/vote up the node).