Dimview, Denmark

Perspective



Stage: A couch semi-facing the audience. A television set with its back to the audience. A man, sitting on the couch, remote in hand. He is sitting legs crossed, arms hugging himself as if he's scared or sad. Now and then he clicks a button on the remote, obviously flipping through different news broadcasts. The TV speakers' commentary is supposed to be fired off rather rapidly, each "click" of the remote sending us on to the next speaker. If there could be a flickering light as from the tv screen, that would be a nice touch.



Click.

Speaker's voice: "The tsunami has caused major power outages, and thousands have been forced to leave their homes. Hundreds are missing, twelve have been verified dead, but the death toll is likely to rise...."

Click.

A different speaker's voice: "... and AIDS has claimed the lives of these children's families. Mtubi is eight years old, but is the sole provider and caretaker of his two younger siblings. Finding food is..."

Click.

Different speaker's voice: "Six teenaged scoolgirls were shot dead by one of their classmates earlier today. No explanation..."

Click

Different speaker's voice: " ...businessman's family was kidnapped two months ago. The five bodies discovered are almost certainly those of his wife and four children, and investigations..."

Click.

Different speaker's voice: "... as the mine collapsed and trapped fifty two workers inside. None have yet been rescued, and the freezing temperatures make rescue work... "





While the last news spot is on, a woman comes hurriedly on stage behind the man, one stiletto in hand, the other one on her foot. She is nicely dressed, maybe for an evening out. Stops abruptly when she sees the man sitting there.



(Woman, exasperated, drowning out the speaker):
"Oh, John, please! I told you how important this dinner is. The least you could do is get ready on time. Please?! For me. Prioritize. Please!"

She hurries off stage again, hopping on one foot while trying to get her other shoe on.

(Man, quietly):
"...prioritize, yes. Sorry darling... "





Gets to his feet, surreptitiously wipes away a tear*. Turns off tv. Exits, following the woman.





The end.






* Or however the actor will choose to show the man's state of mind.