I was at the local supermarket today to shop for the weekend. Bags of groceries, a couple of Kozel beer, snacks... things we, my SO and I, think we need to make it a good weekend.

Right behind us in the check-out queue stood a small girl, about eight or nine years old. She had picked out one Ritter Sport chocolate bar. I had noticed her earlier when I was waiting to pay for my stuff. A little girl with big eyes and hair, slightly tousled. She held on to her chocolate; tightly as not to lose it, but careful not to melt it.

I remember being that age, unlikely as it may seem. I remember Saturdays when it was "candy day", and we - my brother and I - were allowed to eat candy. We would go to the store, and while our mother collected the groceries, we picked out candy.

We weren't allowed to eat it until after dinner. Then we'd sit in front of the TV, and watch cartoons or some show for kids. I always sorted my candy, taking care to touch every single piece (to keep my brother from nicking it). I always kept the best for last, and I always tried to make it last. Never succeeded, though. It was always gone too soon, and I knew I'd have to wait another whole week to get more. Unless... unless we went to visit our grandparents. My grandfather kept some kind of peppermints in a drawer, and when we visited we'd get two each.

The small girl in the check-out line was about to pay for her chocolate. I was standing quite close, and heard the cashier say the dreadful words: 'Is that all the money you've got?'

The girl nodded slowly. The chocolate was in the cashier's hand, the insufficient amount of money was just lying there. The look on the little girl's face was... well. She was 2 Danish crowns short. (That's 0,3 US dollars or 0,18 British pounds!)

So I gave the cashier 2 kr. The little girl flashed me a shy smile and hurried off with her chocolate. And even if doing good deeds can give you - me, at any rate - a really good feeling, this deed in particular mostly made me remember. Good memories. Of when my mother was coherent and my father was alive. Of when life was simple and candy was the hilghlight of the week... Sunshine, somehow, and safety.

Thank you, little girl.