The mother of all marble games is without a doubt rolley hole, a game invented in the early days of colonization of Tennessee and Kentucky. Rolley hole is to other marble games as chess is to checkers. The game is, in simple terms, a combination of golf, croquet, and marbles. It is an exacting sport, a game which requires dexterity, concentration, an in depth perception of spacial relations, and above all, practice.

Rolley hole is played in teams of two. The object is to move your team's marbles across the playing field, landing it in three holes, one on each side of the field, and one in the middle. And whilst you are doing it, it is usually helpful to prevent the other team from doing so by shooting your marble at theirs to knock it off the field. The game would still be impressive, even if it were not played on fields of up to twenty feet in length.

One who is a master of rolley hole is a master of all marble games. If this were not evident in the skill required to play the game, in 1991 the marble champions of Great Britain came to America to challenge the Rolley Holers to a game of British marbles. In short, the British were creamed, by a nine year old and his father, neither of whom had ever even won the local championship. Then, in 1992, a team of six Kentuckian Rolley Holers went to England to compete in an international tournament. There, they defeated every single team. Dutch, British, French, and even other Americans were utterly destroyed in landslide victories.

So that's a basic summary of rolley hole, the most intense marble game out there. Think you've got some weird hobbies?